Hello, Carolyn here and today I am sharing with you my Design Team Member Featured Tuesday Make.
I started with a blank MDF Album Cover from I love mixed media and painted it with Dark Chocolate Impasto paint. I used the ILMM Screwheads stencil and texture paste to add a bit of interest to the tabs, then covered with the same Impasto paint once dry.
Next I worked on the front cover. I chose 4 rust papers from the ILMM Paper, Sticker, Die Cut Assortment (the rust papers are from actual photographs taken by Denise), cut out some rough squares and inked each piece with brown archival ink. These were then glued down with Soft Matte Gel and when dry the whole piece was covered with Clear Gesso. I then stencilled the cover using an old stencil from my stash and 3D Gloss Gel. You do not want to spread the 3D Gel too thickly as it will dry cloudy white, the Silicone Spatula is great for using with stencils.
Whilst the 3D stencilling was drying I painted some Chicken Wire chipboard using the Dark Chocolate Impasto Paint mixed with Texture Powder, giving a Sand Paste effect. Everything was then sprayed with Moonshadow Mist Smoky Sapphire.
For my composition I used metal embellishments (the small cogs from I love mixed media are adorable) Small Cogs Greyboard and Die Cut Cogs, gluing them down with mainly 3D Gloss Gel, but for the fiddly bits I used the Fine Applicator Glue. I had just received the Stamperia Gold Crackle Paste from Denise so decided to add a bit of crackle here and there. Once dry I then used Brown Rust and Rust Oxide from the Rust Paint Set, plus the Moonshadow Mist Smoky Sapphire in the recesses of the cogs and gears.
One of the rust papers shows on old petrol pump and there are weeds growing, nature taking over, so I decided to add flowers to this piece. I had already decided to use a resin frame Denise had given me, but instead of using the Rust Paint I would go with patina colours. I covered the frame, metal Bee/clock, paper flowers and pieces from the Delicate Flora mould with clear gesso and then used Starburst Sprays Time Travel Teal, Shabby Turbine Teal and Rusty Lantern Lime to colour them. I added a touch of Rust Oxide paint and for the frame and Bee/clock I finished with Aged Brass. I also used a photo from Vintage Photobooth with the frame. These were all then added to the cover. When I went to glue on the small flowers some fell apart. I had left the flowers to dry naturally, they stayed wet for quite a while, I think it would have been better if I had used the heat gun on them straight away. I liked how they looked as single petals so used them as little accents here and there.
Everything was assembled and the front complete.
The back cover I decided I would not embellish. I am going to be using this folder so feel anything I add to the back will become damaged. All I did on the back was to paint with Dark Chocolate Impasto Paint, stencilling with Stamperia Crackle Paste and spray with Moonshadow Mist Smoky Sapphire.
As a final touch I sprayed several ribbons (some my own, some from I love mixed media) using the same sprays as the flowers.