Hello, Carolyn here with my DT Members Featured Tuesday Make (you may want to make a cuppa first, sorry it’s long)
My Make is inspired by two things. Firstly a couple of artists I follow have been using books as their substrate and this reminded I had started a project last year where I had gutted a book, but left it as I did like where that project was going. Secondly the clocks changing and having to walk home from work in the dark.
To start I covered the whole book in black gesso. For the front cover I used an ABStudio stencil Denise had kindly ordered for me and black modelling paste.
I worked on the inside by cutting to size a piece I had made using the Stamperia Clocks Texture Mould, covered it with black gesso. I then made my composition using resin pieces from Mechanica mould and Stars and Moon mould, small cogs chipboard pieces, chipboard from my stash and parts from a broken clock. I covered each piece in black gesso before gluing them. For my chipboard houses I mounted them on spare beermat board painted with Sparks Ginger Magic to give the warm glow from the windows (as I get nearer to my home I can see a row of houses on the ridge of the hill glowing in the same way)
I glued everything in place and added Stamperia Moon Grains (rather appropriate name for this project) here and there, again out came the black gesso.
I left the inside to work on the cover. I made a window frame based on my own windows using strips of mount board Denise had given us when we first started out on the Design Team for the base and chipboard for the actual frame, and covered them with black gesso. Using the frame as my guide I glued on the resin moon and stars. I covered the fron of the book again in black gesso so that everything would be matte black.
Now I was ready for spraying with my Starburst Sprays. When using sprays on black gesso you need to look at the mica as this is the colour that will show on the black gesso. I used French Lavender Lilac, Batchelor Button Blue (from my own stash, but if you are interested in these colours I am sure Denise can see if they are available from her supplier), Tainted Love Teal and Gag Me With A Spoon Grey. I sprayed everything in these colours.
For the inside I splattered with Sparks Unicorn Hair. First with watered down with a fair bit of water to give the impression the stars are further away and then less diluted with some bigger splatters for stars to be nearer. To complete the inside I covered a large resin quarter moon with black gesso, coloured it with Scintillating Silver Glitzy Magical mixed with Finnabair Liquid Colour Fluid Medium and finished with Finnabair Old Silver Wax. Tim Holtz Paper Doll and I was done.
To finish the outside I painted some of the stencilled stars inside the frame with Glitzy Gold Magical mixed with Liquid Colour Fluid Medium. I coloured the resin moon face the same as the quarter moon inside, the same with the stars except I used White Gold wax to finish instead of the Old Silver. Coloured a piece of lace from my stash with Starburst Midnight Rendevous Raven, Peacock Wax and on top of the wax painted with Snazzy Sparkle mixed with the Liquid Colour. I attached the lace to the window frame (I hasten to add I don’t actually have net curtains). I cut a piece of plastic packaging to size and glued that to my window frame. Added Stamperia White Glamour Sparkle, Finnabair Silver Micro beads and some sequins within the frame and then glued on the frame, making my window into a shaker. Finally glued on the door knob from the ILMM Hardware Pack.
I thought I was finished with the inside, but decided to add 3 small stars. These stars are from the Stars and Moon mould, but are made from plaster, this was before I got into using resin. I sprayed the stars with Starburst Midnight Rendevous Raven, painted with Glitzy Gold mixed as before and finished with White Gold Wax. Now I was done!